New Norcia’s drinking water protection plan
Released 23 Jun 2009
The Department of Water's Director of Water Resource Management, John Ruprecht, said the plan outlined the location of the drinking water reserve, existing and future usage of the water source and potential sources of contamination.
Mr Ruprecht said the New Norcia Water Reserve Drinking Water Source Protection Plan was part of the department's strategy aimed at identifying and protecting drinking water sources throughout Western Australia.
This current protection plan updates and replaces the plan that was published in 1999.
Preparation of the plan has included input from landowners, the Shire of Victoria Plains, the Benedictine community and the Water Corporation.
"It's vital that the community understands where their drinking water comes from and what has to be done to make sure it is safe to drink now and in the future.
"New Norcia's drinking water supply comes from Water Corporation production bores within the proposed New Norcia Water Reserve.
- identifies land uses, activities and risks to water quality within the reserve, and recommends management strategies to address those risks
- makes recommendations to improve protection in the reserve to ensure a good quality water supply
- proposes priority classification areas to ensure an appropriate level of protection from incompatible land uses
- proposes wellhead protection zones be established around each of the production bores to protect water quality
Mr Ruprecht said major recommendations of the plan include:
- proclamation of the water reserve under the Country Areas Water Supply Act 1947 to enable by-laws to apply that can protect water quality
- incorporation of the plan into the Shire of Victoria Plain's town planning schemes to ensure that future land uses in the water reserve are compatible
- adoption of best management practices for land uses within the New Norcia Water Reserve.
Copies can be obtained from the Department of Water on tel: 08 6364 7600 or by visiting our web site at www.water.wa.gov.au / Waterways Health / Drinking water / Water source protection plans.
Contact: Dianne Dixon
Phone: (08) 6364 6983 / 041 991 0847