New Norcia’s draft drinking water protection plan
Released 16 Apr 2009
The Department of Water's Director of Water Resource Management, John Ruprecht, said preparation of the plan had included input from landowners, the Shire of Victoria Plains, the Benedictine Community and the Water Corporation.
Mr Ruprecht said the plan outlined the location of the drinking water reserve, existing and future usage of the water source and potential sources of contamination.
"The New Norcia Water Reserve Draft Drinking Water Source Protection Plan was part of the department's strategy aimed at identifying and protecting drinking water sources throughout Western Australia," he said.
"A plan was developed in 1999 but the water reserve proposed was never gazetted. This current plan updates and replaces the plan completed in 1999.
"It's vital that the community understands where the water reserve is located, how it should be managed and how people can help protect it from existing and future contamination risks.
"New Norcia's drinking water supply comes from Water Corporation production bores within the proposed reserve.
- identifies land uses, activities and risks to water quality within the reserve, and recommends management strategies to address those risks
- makes recommendations to improve protection in the reserve to ensure good quality water supply in the long term
- proposes priority classification areas to ensure an appropriate level of protection from incompatible land uses in the water reserve
- proposes wellhead protection zones be established around each of the production bores to protect water quality."
Mr Ruprecht said major recommendations of the plan included:
- proclamation of the water reserve under the Country Areas Water Supply Act 1947 to enable by-laws to apply to potentially polluting activities
- incorporation of the plan into the Shire of Victoria Plain's town planning schemes to ensure that future land uses in the water reserve are compatible
- adoption of best management practices for existing land uses within the New Norcia Water Reserve.
Copies can be obtained from the Department of Water on (08) 6364 7600 or by visiting our web site at www.water.wa.gov.au / Water management / publications / plans and assessments.
Comments on the plan can be made to the Department of Water until 26 May 2009.
Contact: Dianne Dixon
Phone: (08) 6364 6983 / 041 991 0847