Four contenders shortlisted in Wellington Dam EOI
Released 22 Dec 2015
- Successful respondents include local and international organisations
- Part of the $5.7 million Myalup-Wellington Water for Food project
Water Minister Mia Davies has announced a shortlist of four respondents from the Wellington Dam Expression of Interest process (EOI).
The shortlist includes a WA based joint venture led by Aqua Ferre, local irrigation cooperative Harvey Water, Israeli based leader in desalination IDE Technology and Valoriza a Spanish firm specialising in use of brackish water for agriculture.
“A total of 15 responses were received and evaluated against six principles – economic, technical, financial, organisation capability, project team capability and social and environmental merit,” Minister Davies said.
Ms Davies said all short listed respondents indicated that a level of government support would be needed and the government would work with the companies to define the level of support ahead of a possible Request for Proposal.
“Possibilities for involvement by the Federal government will also be discussed,” she said.
Wellington Dam is the second largest reservoir in the State and the largest surface water storage in the Southwest. Rising salinity has meant that the reservoir with its 85 gigalitres of annual allocation has been under utilised.
Ms Davies said the companies were shortlisted by a technical advisory group that included representatives from the National Centre of Excellence in Desalination Australia, the CSIRO, Irrigation Australia, DAFWA, vegetablesWA, South West Development Commission and Department of Water. The process was run though TendersWA and coordinated by Deloitte.
Regional Development Minister Terry Redman said the Water for Food program, made possible by a $40 million Royalties for Regions investment, was focused on increasing economic growth in regional communities.
"This is a significant investment by the State Government to increase the size of irrigation districts and create sustainable regional communities," Mr Redman said.
- The EOI process opened on 25 August 2015 and closed on 9 October 2015
- Water for Food is a key component of the State Government's Royalties for Regions $300 million Seizing the Opportunity in Agriculture initiative
- Shortlist Proponent Summaries
- For more information please contact the Water for Food team at the Department of Water on +61 8 63647600